Community

Bitcoin Pizza Day Story

Swipe | 05.22| 14

Today marks the 10th year of the much-celebrated Bitcoin Pizza Day when a hungry man Laszlo Hanyecz from Florida bought two boxes Papa John’s Pizza for 10,000 Bitcoins (BTC).

Back then, Bitcoin doesn’t have that much value (than it has today obviously) as the concept of cryptocurrency was just introduced a little over a year. So, it was relatively a good deal.

In his 2010 post on an online forum Hanyecz stated:

I’ll pay 10,000 bitcoins for a couple of pizzas.. like maybe 2 large ones so I have some left over for the next day. I like having left over pizza to nibble on later. You can make the pizza yourself and bring it to my house or order it for me from a delivery place, but what I’m aiming for is getting food delivered in exchange for bitcoins where I don’t have to order or prepare it myself, kind of like ordering a ‘breakfast platter’ at a hotel or something, they just bring you something to eat and you’re happy!
I like things like onions, peppers, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, pepperoni, etc.. just standard stuff no weird fish topping or anything like that. I also like regular cheese pizzas which may be cheaper to prepare or otherwise acquire.
If you’re interested please let me know and we can work out a deal.
Thanks,
Laszlo

Hanyecz’s transaction was a milestone in the adoption of Bitcoin in everyday transactions. It was not just about the idea that today’s BTC value is way higher than it was ten years ago. It was because that pizza transaction became the first Bitcoin deal in history and opened the possibilities of its spending power in the world.

For the following years, Bitcoin has surely grown a lot in terms of value and usability. A lot of other kinds of cryptocurrency emerged, all with the same idea of revolutionizing payments and its mass acceptance across the world.

In his interview with Anderson Cooper in 2019, he thought that the idea of trading something out of his digital currency was a “cool thing.”

“I honestly thought it would be really cool if I could say, ‘Hey, I just traded this, you know, open-source internet money for a real-world good,” Hanyecz during his interview at 60 Minutes.

At present, one BTC is worth $9,000 USD, making the 10,000 BTC equivalent to over 91M USD. A VERY significant value increase compared to its price $41 USD price ten years ago. Who would have thought that his cool idea became a door to a lot of opportunities in the crypto world today?

Now does anyone wants a box or two of pizza? Happy Bitcoin Pizza Day!

Bitcoin Pizza Day Story was originally published in Swipe on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.

Comment 0

delete

Are you sure you want to delete this post?